Date:      Sat, 25 Aug 2001 16:19:53 -0400
From:      Chris Faulhaber <jedgar@fxp.org>
To:        ComputersUSA!WebMaster <webmaster@shopcusa.com>
Cc:        riggs@rrr.de, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: mplayer-0.18

--/04w6evG8XlLl3ft

On Sat, Aug 25, 2001 at 12:26:25PM -0700, ComputersUSA! WebMaster wrote:
> Question, is *.wmv supported yet under freebsd?
>=20
> When I try and play a *.wmv file, I get the following:
>=20
*snip*
> Couldn't install fs segment, expect segfault
> Did you reconfigure the kernel with "options USER_LDT"?
> Set_LDT
> Bus error (core dumped)
>=20
> I doubt the "options USER_LDT" pretains to freebsd, it sounds like someth=
ing
> for linux.. but is it for freebsd? and does it work? am I going to notice
> any loss in stability? etc?
>=20

=46rom /sys/i386/conf/LINT:

# Allow applications running in user space to control the Local Descriptor
# Table (LDT).  This is required by some ports.  Future versions of FreeBSD
# may require this option for some programs in the base system.
#
options         USER_LDT                #allow user-level control of i386 l=
dt

It appears you will need to recompile your kernel with the above option
to use that software.  For more information see
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig.html

--=20
Chris D. Faulhaber - jedgar@fxp.org - jedgar@FreeBSD.org
FreeBSD: The Power To Serve   -   http://www.FreeBSD.org