Date:      Sat, 20 Aug 2005 15:47:38 -0700
From:      "Gayn Winters" <gayn.winters@bristolsystems.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD and projects for kids

I'm building a PC with my 10 year old niece.  Actually we are building
several PC's out of junk parts that we have laying around the office.
We are trying various OS's, including FreeBSD, on them. We are trying to
get various devices to work: printers, scanners, sound cards,
microphones, video boards, etc.  We're having fun (so far, at least.)
She's learning a lot.

I've been looking around for a web site (or two) for young girls
interested in computers.  I came across LinuxChix.org (and its defunct
special interest group BSDchix.)  It has plenty of female role models,
but, like FreeBSD-questions, it is a little too advanced for my niece.
Googling a bit hasn't hit any gold mines for her. But see below.

Thus my questions:  any ideas for very elementary reading on computers
for a 10 year old?  Any ideas for an appropriate web site for her?
Anyone tried PicoBSD as an example of a "small OS"?    Can anyone advise
me as to how much of FreeBSD I need to load before there are interesting
games for 10 year olds in the games ports?   Other
advice/ideas/pointers?

TIA,

-gayn

P.s. found: