Date:      Fri, 5 Jun 1998 18:46:35 -0500
From:      "J.A. Terranson" <sysadmin@mfn.org>
To:        "'Kerby Smith'" <kerby@bengali.npl.com>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: frying monitors

Dear Kerby...

	That warning probably shouldn't exist anymore, if for no other reason than
the reaction you are having now!   The facts are these:

(1) Yes, on *certain* monitors (none of recent manufacture AFAIK), it is poosible to
actually torch (set fire) a monitor via software.  This is done by subjecting it so severe
overdriving, by playing with the sync and refresh rates.

(2) AFAIK, it's not likely to happen (even to a susceptable monitor) unless you manage
to [incorrectly] configure it in *just* the wrong way, *AND* you then let it just sit there
without doing anything about it (for a period of minutes, *not* seconds).  Of course, if
you are so unconcerned about things that you just walk away from an install in progress,
then you probably don't care what happens anyway :)

(3) I may be mistaken, but I don't believe modern (read: SVGA) multi-synchronous
monitors are subject to this.  And since better that 95% of us are using these,
(I'm probably the *only* one on this list who uses MDA and CGA almost exclusively!)
it shouldn't be a big concern.

(4) If you screw up your settings, you'll know *immediately*!  Just redo it, and you should
be fine!

Enjoy!

J.A. Terranson
sysadmin@mfn.org