Date:      Fri, 2 Jul 1999 22:59:32 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Jonathon Doran <doranj@Colorado.EDU>
To:        sturgeon@webworks2000.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unix help

Please don't send HTML to the list...

> We are running our own server, located at our ISP.  We are running Unix
> FreeBSD with Apache server.  We telnet into the server when necessary.
> We are needing to know three things:

> 1.  How can we change our su password?

Use the "passwd" program.

By the way, since you have the machine located remotely... I strongly suggest,
make that STRONGLY suggest that you use ssh to communicate with your machine.
Sending the root password over a clear channel line is an invitation for
some less savory types to take over your machine.  ssh will provide you a
shell on your remote machine, but will encrypt the session.

I realize you are new to Unix, but there are people here who can help you.
I for one would much rather talk you through setting up ssh than talking you
through getting your machine put back together after somebody messes with it.

> 2.  What do we need to have to be able to offer our Online Community
> Members their own email account using our domain, for example:
> username@fishhunt.org?

Create accounts for your users on the machine.  They do not need to have
interactive shells unless you are offering this service.  Setting their
shell to "nologin" should be fine.

Setup a POP daemon on your machine, and you're in business.  The handbook
addresses this (oh so briefly):

	http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/mail.html

But says all that needs to be said.  Install the software, and read the
instructions.  (Ask questions here after that)

> 3.  What do we need to have to download a .tar file, transfer the .tar
> file to Unix, decompress it and install appropriate files?

All of the tools to do this are part of the base FreeBSD.  ftp will allow
you to transfer a .tar file to your machine.  Uncompress or gunzip can
be used to decompress the tar in most cases (it depends on what was
used to compress it, but these two handle the most common compression
formats).  Installation depends on what you are installing...

The packages are installed with "pkg_add", but you DONT uncompress them
first.  Some software just wants to be untarred in a directory, use "tar"
for this.

> As you can tell we are very new to this and we have a lot of questions
> that we are having great difficulty finding answers to.

There are some tutorials on Unix and FreeBSD linked off the FreeBSD
web page.  I recommend you start with:

	http://www.freebsd.org/projects/newbies.html

> If you are able to reply to this email, please type in layman's terms,
> we are not familiar with all the technical terms yet.

This is about as laymanish as you get and still preserve meaning.  Its best
if you ask for clarification on the parts you don't understand.

Jon Doran