Date:      Wed, 14 Nov 2001 20:20:39 -0500
From:      The Anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.dyndns.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   can't do reverse dns with /etc/hosts

--BOKacYhQ+x31HxR3

Hi!

I stumbled upon a slight problem recently. I always figured using a
nameserver was a good idea for my local network so I had one setup for
quite a while.. However, my router doesn't talk to the nameserver for
security reasons. (the nameserver takes care of the *local* DNS setup.)

Now, I figured that if I put a few entries in /etc/hosts on that router,
it won't really need to consult the DNS anyways. The entries are in
place, but it doesn't work. On a test machine, I discover that bypassing
the nameserver to do reverse queries simply breaks them. Example, with
the nameserver in resolv.conf:

anarcat@shall[~]% host 10.0.0.1
1.0.0.10.IN-ADDR.ARPA domain name pointer foo.anarcat.dyndns.org
anarcat@shall[~]%=20

All nice and easy. Now, I enter a proper line (?) in /etc/hosts to
replace that:

10.0.0.1             foo.anarcat.dyndns.org foo

I *remove* resolv.conf (since turning "bind" off in /etc/host.conf doesn't
seem to be enough!) and I get:

anarcat@shall[~]% host 10.0.0.1
Host not found, try again.
anarcat@shall[~]%=20

What the?

At first I tought /etc/hosts didn't allow reverse lookups, but after a
bit of reading in /usr/src (lib/libc/net/gethostbyht.c is an interesting
reading :), I realise that it *did* allow reverse lookups... I am now
confused. Is my setup correct? What do I do wrong?

I'm running 4.4-stable.

Thanks.

A.

--BOKacYhQ+x31HxR3