Date:      Fri, 29 Feb 2008 00:06:54 +0100
From:      Jan-Olof Lindqvist <jo.lindqvist@gmail.com>
To:        Anish Mistry <mistry.7@osu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fujitsu P8010: est: CPU supports Enhanced Speedstep, but is not recognized

Anish Mistry wrote:
> I got a new Fujitsu P8010 and est doesn't seem to attach to my dual
> core processor since it doesn't recognize the CPU.  My dmesg is
> linked at the end of the email.  Is there anything I can do to add
> it?
>
> cpu0: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0
> ACPI: SSDT @ 0x0xcf6cac73/0x01F6 (v  1 FUJ    FJNB1E3  0x01050000 FUJ
> 0x00000100)
> ACPI: SSDT @ 0x0xcf6cb173/0x05CD (v  1 FUJ    FJNB1E3  0x01050000 FUJ
> 0x00000100)
> est0: <Enhanced SpeedStep Frequency Control> on cpu0
> est: CPU supports Enhanced Speedstep, but is not recognized.
> est: cpu_vendor GenuineIntel, msr 619061906000619
> device_attach: est0 attach returned 6
> p4tcc0: <CPU Frequency Thermal Control> on cpu0
> cpu1: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0
> ACPI: SSDT @ 0x0xcf6cb0bb/0x00B8 (v  1 FUJ    FJNB1E3  0x01050000 FUJ
> 0x00000100)
> ACPI: SSDT @ 0x0xcf6cb740/0x0047 (v  1 FUJ    FJNB1E3  0x01050000 FUJ
> 0x00000100)
> est1: <Enhanced SpeedStep Frequency Control> on cpu1
> est: CPU supports Enhanced Speedstep, but is not recognized.
> est: cpu_vendor GenuineIntel, msr 619061906000619
> device_attach: est1 attach returned 6
>

> dmesg:
> http://am-productions.biz/docs/dmesg.boot

I was about to say that est.c was not updated for 21 months so newer
processors is likely not to be supported by Enhanced Speedstep but 3
hours ago there was a patch notified :)

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/i386/cpufreq/est.c

It doesn't look like it's going to help us though. I have the exact same
problem with all my new systems. Two core 2 duo and one core 2 quad.
They run way to hot without the correct speedstep setting.

The big issue that I can see is that the frequency-voltage tables are
missing in FreeBSD est.c, but they are for example easily available at:
http://developer.intel.com/products/processor/core2duo/ Someone with the
knowledge and time just needs to implement it.

--
Jan-Olof Lindqvist
http://www.jail.se