Date:      Mon, 20 Oct 2014 16:08:43 -0700
From:      Nick Rogers <ncrogers@gmail.com>
To:        "freebsd-ports@freebsd.org" <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Cc:        maintainer@dansguardian.org, author@dansguardian.org
Subject:   www/dansguardian revival?

Hello,

I recently learned that the www/dansguardian port was deprecated due to its
dependency on the old www/squid port (squid 2.7). Is there any way this
port can be revived? I've been using it for years with great success
against newer versions of squid (3.3, 3.4). Usually I would just change the
RUN_DEPENDS to look for squid33 or squid34. The squid dependency could
arguably be removed entirely because all dansguardian does is proxy www
traffic to squid - it doesn't really matter what version it is and the
application itself does not require the squid port to run. Point being, the
port works just fine as is (was). In fact, it would work in its last-known
state correctly now that squid34 is simply www/squid. I realize the
maintainer has not updated the port in a while, but I've been using
dansguardian with FreeBSD for nearly the last decade and it is unfortunate
to see it removed as a port simply because the previous state of the squid
ports was undesirable.

It would be great if this could be added back. Clearly I am not the only
one still using it.

I've CC'd the current dansguardian source code maintainer and author in
hopes they can assist and find a new maintainer for the FreeBSD port.

Thanks.

-Nick