Date:      Fri, 11 Jun 1999 14:52:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Scott Gasch (Exchange)" <sgasch@Exchange.Microsoft.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Root not dismounted properly...

On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Scott Gasch (Exchange) wrote:

> I'm having a problem with a system that I am having trouble
> understanding. Whenever I reboot the machine (3.0-RELEASE, Western
> Digital IDE drives both on IDE channel A), it comes up with an
> "WARNING \ was not properly dismounted".  This occurs even though I
> shut down the system properly (shutdown -r now...)  fscking the
> partition and mounting it by hand is required at each reboot.

The system should fsck the filesystems automatically on boot.  Are they
failing that badly?

> It is my understanding that the boot system call unmounts all active
> mountpoints before shutting down.  Could this fail for some reason?

If the drive or controller gets wedged and won't accept the final block.
It's unusual for this to occur and should be checked out.  You'll see this
if the final 'syncing disks ... ' runs down to 'giving up'.

You might try running 'sync' a few times before issuing the shutdown.

If it's syncing out the blocks OK then your disk subsystem has some major
problems.

Doug White