Date:      Sat, 30 May 1998 09:46:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        Rolando Paez <rpaez@fastel.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WWW with Apache

On Fri, 29 May 1998, Rolando Paez wrote:
> I've just installed the Apache web server on a Pentium 100, 64MB,
> T1 connection machine running FreeBSD 2.2.6. All seems fine,
> but the response time from the web server is a little slow, I've
> noticed that other websites on the Internet with similar systems
> have much faster response time that mine. Can you tell me how can I
> achieve a faster website? or Where can I find some information related
> to this problem?

Your machine should be able to serve up pages quite quickly.  I ran
a machine with ~ 100 very happy customers on a P90/32M for over a year.
Recently upgraded it to a P200/64M and no one seemed to notice.

Make sure that your DNS is working properly, both forward and
reverse.  See what else you have running on the system that may
be using resources.  top will tell you most of what you need to
know.

Don't run X on this machine.  If you are that's your problem.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  949 443 4172
 DPC Systems / Beach.Net                                    dan@dpcsys.com