Date:      Sat, 8 Aug 1998 15:06:56 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@rucus.ru.ac.za>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   "customizing" FreeBSD installs

Hi

I'd like to know the implications of creating a "customized" FreeBSD install.

Basically, since you know you're going to have this thing installed in, say,
South Africa, you can make certain assumptions.  Basically, this entails
changing a few files in /etc, like make.conf (for USA_RESIDENT,
MASTER_SITE_BACKUP, etc) and similar files.

I'd like to know whether doing something like this, changing a few
configuration files, would be allowed, since I'd like to make FreeBSD more
accessible for the many people I'm trying to convert here. (We have an
ever-growing Linux base here who are interested in FreeBSD for the servers
they administer, and I'd like to assimilate them sneakily. :>)

Another project I'm interested in is one that involves installing and
configuring a couple of ports by default, in addition to the normal install.
IE, a "directed" install, for specific use. (I would start a company to do
this, but location and other problems prevent, so I'd like to make this
"freely" available.)

Basically this is to do things like NAT easier, default ppp scripts for the
major ISPs here, etc.  I can make all changes available, and besides those
changes the FreeBSD installation will be little different from a standard one
with a few ports installed.  All tools and additions would be released
publically, of course. (and if the idea is  not allowed by license, or
whatever, I'll make and release these tools anyway, of course)

I just want to know where I stand "legally" (and, of course, also what the
FreeBSD people think of it.)

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner