Date:      Mon, 4 Dec 1995 11:36:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        paul@netcraft.co.uk
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Audio from cdrom

> I hacked the code so that it did do a drive query and the SCSI_INQUIRY
> command failed! Regardless of non-standard audio commands I suspect
> there's something more generic wrong if I can't even get the drive
> to tell me what it is.
 you have to open the control device fopr the cdrom to get the
ioctls to work..
in other words in needs to open
/dev/rcd0.ctl, not /dev/cd0
this is because User-level scsi commands are genericaly dangerous
and we demsnd that to use them , you need have specific
permissions (e.g. read/write perms on the control device)

julian