Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 1999 14:56:42 -0800
From:      "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com>
To:        "Terry Lambert" <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Judge: "Gates Was Main Culprit"

> > > o	IBM PCs are Intel based instead of Motorolla based.
> > > 	Enough said, I think (other than "segments are for worms").
> >
> > This is a case where the advantages of compatability outweight
> > the costs of lock in.
>
> So you admit that it's a "lock in", by your definition?  Compatability
> is only an issue when software vendors don't port, BTW.

	No, nobody is locked into anything. We choose the 'inferior' technology
because of the advantage of compatability. Hence the allegedly 'superior'
technology isn't really superior once the costs of adopting are taken into
account. (This is the same reason the US has not adopted the metric standard
generally.)

	Eventually, technologies that don't have the costs of compatability will
become so far superior that nothing will stop us from switching standards.
At this point, either Intel will succeed with Merc^H^H^H^HItanium or we will
change platforms entirely. The former solution is less expensive and painful
(better for everyone except Intel's competitors), so it'll probably be what
will happen.

	Had Intel not been able to maintain the costs of compatability so low, we
would already have dumped the x86 architecture.

	DS