Date:      Tue, 29 May 2018 17:39:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
To:        Mateusz Piotrowski <0mp@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Niclas Zeising <zeising@freebsd.org>, freebsd-x11@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [RFC] Deprecation and removal of the drm2 driver

> On Tue, 29 May 2018 21:28:49 +0200
> Niclas Zeising <zeising@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> >On 05/18/18 19:58, Niclas Zeising wrote:
> >> [ Cross posted to freebsd-current@ and freebsd-x11@.? Please respect
> >> reply-to and send all replies to freebsd-x11@.? Thanks! ]
> >>
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> What does the community think?? Is there anyone still using the drm2
> >> driver on 12-CURRENT?? If so, what is preventing you from switching to
> >> the port?
> >>

> >Wow, this blew up quite a lot bigger than I anticipated.  I'll try to
> >summarize the discussion a bit below and then suggest a way forward.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> >To move forward, we'll do the following:  Note that this is for current
> >only.
> >We take the drm and drm2 drivers and make a port for it, maintained by
> >the graphics team (x11@).  After a transition period, then the drivers
> >are removed from base.  At the same time, pkg-messages are added to
> >relevant places to point people to the various available drm drivers.
>
> Let's also remember about our handbooks and those two wiki page:
>  * https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics
>  * https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics/FAQ
This one has a bit rot on this claim:
	"The i915kms kernel-side driver is already built into the
	 generic FreeBSD kernel. No need to install anything. '

That is slightly miss leading, it is not "built into the generic",
it is avaliable as a module, at least on 11 and 12, not sure on
10 as I dont have 10 running any place anymore.