Date:      Tue, 6 Jun 2000 09:19:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
To:        "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
Cc:        Mark Abene <phiber@radicalmedia.com>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: JDK status?

On Tue, 6 Jun 2000, Koster, K.J. wrote:

> At this time, everyone is free to download the patches and build his own JDK
> after signing the SCSL. Even without a binary distribution option, we can
> make a killer port out of this baby.

Sure, but what's the point if nobody can use it. Most of the world
is not interested in getting a source license and building it
themselves.

> Nate Williams just made a unofficial, off-the-record, speculative
> pre-announcement on freebsd-java. Basically he says that at JavaOne there
> should be a happy surprise for Java/FreeBSD people.

Yeah, but this worries me, because where does this leave the NetBSD
folks? I hope this isn't going to be `FreeBSD gets to join the
little clique with Linux whilst all other free software is left
out in the cold.'

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   917 532 4208   http://www.netbsd.org
  Human speech is like a cracked tin kettle, on which we hammer out tunes