Date:      Thu, 14 Mar 2002 21:00:49 -0500
From:      Alan Eldridge <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        Wayne Lubin <wayneclubin@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make's default actions while installing ports

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 05:41:58PM -0800, Wayne Lubin wrote:
>This doesn't seem to work because as far as I can see,
>ALL_HOOK is not defined and hence this "if" statment
>is not executed and thus all: will not be defined
>here.

So?

>> .if !target(all)
>> all: build
>> .endif

It's guaranteed to be defined as target after this.

Reading the make(1) man page carefully really is important if you're
going to try to trace through the bsd.*.mk files. They are rather abusive
in the sense that they take full advantage of BSD make features (like the
'target(word)' predicate) that don't exist in other make implementations,
and in the sense that they are very complex, involving long chains of
dependencies and definitions.

For example, as near as I can tell, there is no way to express that
particular idiom in GNU make (a feature missing from GNU make? how could
that happen?).

--
Alan Eldridge
"Dave's not here, man."