Date:      Wed, 19 Sep 2001 22:17:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ian Cartwright <ian351c@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Netgear MA401 and WEP

Hello eveybody,

BTW: I am posting this from Yahoo because either @home
is blocking mail from freebsd.org or vice versa; sorry
for the garbled formatting...

Anyway, I've posted a couple timed before with no
replies. But now that 4.4-R is out maybe there is time
for someone to take alook at this...

I have a Netgear MA-401 that I have been unable to get
working under FreeBSD.  The card works fine under
Windows 2000. The card works great in FreeBSD  without
WEP. When I enable WEP I lose my connection to my
access devica (a Netgear ME102). I have scoured the
archives, with no luck. I've tried -STABLE for the
last few weeks, following freebsd-mobile in some hope
of finding someone with a similar issue. I have tried
wicontrol, ifconfig, setting via the command line,
setting in rc.conf, setting in pcccard.conf, and
setting in start_if.wi0, all with no luck.

Here is some info about my current setup:
- The card works with WEP disabled
- My WEP key is entered in hex
- I am trying to attach to a Netgear MA-102 Access
Point which   only supports  40 bit hex keys
- wicontrol looks like it is doing everything properly
(correct   keys, ssid,  etc.)
- ifconfig looks OK too, except "authmode" is NONE and
I cannot   change it to  anything else

Here is a copy of my start_if.wi0
#!/bin/sh
/usr/sbin/wicontrol -i wi0 -t 11
/usr/sbin/wicontrol -i wi0 -n IansWireless
/usr/sbin/wicontrol -i wi0 -c 0 -p 0
/usr/sbin/wicontrol -i wi0 -k 0x1111111111 -v 1
/usr/sbin/wicontrol -i wi0 -T 1
/usr/sbin/wicontrol -i wi0 -e 1

Also, I have noticed some strange behavior when
setting keys. If I set the 40 bit WEP key to all 3's
then do a wicontrol -i wi0 to report the keys, it will
show the key as '33333' (as in a text string instead
of hex). But that may or may not be part of this.

Cheers,

Ian