Date:      Sun, 19 Aug 2001 09:34:17 -0400
From:      Jonathan Chen <jon@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Vincent Poy <vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET>
Cc:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, Tom Fischer <tfischer@rain.fr>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Userbase of -current

On Sat, Aug 18, 2001 at 05:56:19PM -1000, Vincent Poy wrote:
> 	Speaking about -current and laptops, I know Warner mentioned the
> 3COM 3CXFEM656C working in -current but what's the proper way to install
> FreeBSD on a IBM ThinkPad 770Z with that NIC/Modem combo since the floppy
> disks don't seem to show the card on a 6162001 snapshot from
> current.FreeBSD.ORG.  I was thinking about making a CD of the snapshot but
> is there a bootable ISO available?

The FreeBSD boot floppies do not support NEWCARD.  I could perhaps look
into generating a newcard-kernel.flp once 4.4 is released and
current.freebsd.org is fixed, if people thing that it's a good idea.  But
for now, you can either install FreeBSD from a DOS partition, or IIRC
current.jp.freebsd.org generates bootable ISO's of -current.  But I can't
seem to connect right now so I can't check...

Or, simply unplug the harddrive from your laptop and plug it into another
machine to do the install.  When I fubar'ed my laptop's fs not too long
ago, I hot-plugged my laptop harddrive into my desktop, issued an
"atacontrol reinit", and proceeded to merrily run sysinstall under a
chroot.  Of course, this is by no means "the proper way", but it gets the
job done...

-Jon