Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 2002 12:39:08 +0100 (BST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Mosko=20Bilekic?= <mbilekic@yahoo.co.uk>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Why did FreeBSD fail?

Gentlemen, it's time to explain why FreeBSD is such a
failure.

In the following lines, David O'Brien explains why 5.0
is such a POS...

<@motminh> -current is a fucking piece of shit right
now.

<@Keltia> hi motminh
< gordont> motminh: no, it's just shitty for you, I
just updated fine
<@motminh> gordont:  try using mucho scsi disks + IPFW

<@motminh> gordont:  isp(4) is shit.
<@motminh> gordont:  Oh, and on an SMP box
<@motminh> gordont:  we haven't been stable since June
27th (just before ipfw2 hit).
* motminh *just* got a ffs block not freed panic with
an hour old kernel.
< gordont> motminh: hmm, well I can't attest for isp
or ipfw, but my smp box works fine
<@motminh> gordont:  if I use an isp controller I
can't even make it to single user
<@motminh> gordont:  you have a single ide disk in it?
<@motminh> gordont:  please do.
<@motminh> gordont:  we have noone (few) stress
testing -current right now.
<@motminh> for many the test is a basic PC and "make
world".
< gordont> motminh: I have to get FC down to my EMC
box first though
<@motminh> I hear more and more developers that only
have a -current shitbox to make sure something
compiles that was developed on -stable before they
commit it to -current.
< gordont> motminh: well, I'm proud to say my desktop
at work is running -CURRENT
<@motminh> Keltia:  awake?
<@Keltia> motminh: yes
<@motminh> Keltia:  are you running -current on your
SMP box?
<@Keltia> motminh: I'm afraid not
<@motminh> Keltia:  have you even seen the "launching
CPU #1" message get fucked up in the middle of  SCSI
probe output?
<@Keltia> motminh: I think I have seen it yes
<@motminh> anordby:  you have to `make depend' first.
<@motminh> anordby:  1/2 ass commits broke building
kernels
<@anordby> motminh: hrrm ok
<@anordby> motminh: i have a -current testing box that
i intend to make rebuild world+kernel every night..
automatically from pxe installs. :)
<@Keltia> motminh: still there ?
<@motminh> 7ep
<@motminh> Keltia:  my box hasn't been stable enough
<@motminh> Keltia:  the /bin/sh bug that fubar'ed |'s
kept me from build many ports
<@Keltia> motminh: when you'll be able to try gcc33,
see my message in -current

---------------------------------

As you see, -CURRENT has been totally broken for
almost two months now. And don't get me started on
-STABLE. FreeBSD 4.x is such a joke... enterprise
ready my ass!

The other big problem that the FreeBSD project faces
is that a lot of developers prefer to waste time
flaming instead of coding. Mike Smith knew that,
that's why he left. Jordan Hubbard is an asshole btw.

As always, some greetings...

Juli Mallett, sorry for the typo :)
David O'Brien, you're a great hacker, but a real
asshole
Matt Dillon, I had a lot of respect for you until you
replied to the Pythonstein troll, you SUCK
Greg Lehey, MORON, don't feed the trolls!
Alfred Perlstein, drunktard
Hiten Pandya, IMBECILE
Bosko Milekic, if I ever meet you, I'll kick your ass!
Paul Saab, asshole
Bill Fumerola, FUCK YOU
Will Andrews, I suggest you join a real project
Diane Bruce, the reason I never mentioned you is that
you're so fucking ugly I felt sorry for you :)

Yours,
Mosko