Date:      Fri, 08 Aug 2014 16:57:03 +0200
Cc:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: What platform do you use?

Am 08.08.2014 15:35, schrieb Paul Mather:
> On Aug 7, 2014, at 5:34 PM, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:

>>> I wonder why people like to update their embedded systems by taking card
>>> out, completely overwriting it with new data and putting card back in.
>>> No wonder that it's slow, complex & heedlessly wears out your flash.
>>>
>>> If I do this in my BBB I would get myself pissed very soon because of
>>> the effort required. I never bothered to netboot too, because I wanted
>>> to test it in insecure network conditions.
>>> I mean, I don't remember a case where I needed to take HDD to another
>>> machine for upgrade. The issue where it's not practical to compile
>>> something locally is completely unrelated with this, too.
>> make installworld works too, as does extracting the binary sets. The new installer
>> should work, but I’ve not tried it.
> It would be handy for those of us wanting to cross-build FreeBSD/arm
> for someone who is familiar with the build process to give a quick
> example of how to update a FreeBSD/arm installation that is cross-built
> on another system.  In the past, I've had the impression that the build
> infrastructure on the target system sometimes needs to be in alignment
> with the new kernel/world you're trying to install, and so NFS-mounting
> /usr/src and /usr/obj or copying it to the target system fails to yield
> a successful "make installworld" on the target system.  Maybe this is
> no longer the case, as I believe great strides have been made in the
> realm of cross-building.
>
> Up to now, I have largely used Crochet to build images for my R-PI and
> BBB.  That's okay for initial install, but I'm much more familiar with
> updating from source and would like to do that from then on.  In the
> past, FreeBSD/arm has been too flaky for me to do a native build (I've
> posted here about that in the past), but, besides that, it would be
> nice to cut down the long native build times by cross-building on a
> much faster system.
>
> I have an R-PI and BBB and would like to cross-build (for update
> purposes) on my FreeBSD/amd64 10-STABLE system.  Could you post a known
> way to do this?  I can NFS-mount from the FreeBSD/amd64 or else have it
> put /usr/src and /usr/obj on an USB external hard drive that I can then
> connect to my R-PI or BBB for updating.  Either is okay with me.
>
> Thanks in advance.

The way I do it is cross-compiling everything needed on an ssh enabled
remote machine, and installing it into a folder on that machine with
DESTDIR=
On my arm machine then as root I do
"cd /"
and
"chflags -R noschg *"
and
"ssh user@host tar -cpf - /destdirfolder/* | tar -xpf - "
And voilà, world is installed.
I then copy the kernel from the obj dir to my boot partition via scp and
reboot.
Usually this works.

Cheers,

Mat