Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 2017 16:53:21 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        emilia@disroot.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question about nvidia driver

On Tue, 05 Dec 2017 15:34:07 +0000, emilia@disroot.org wrote:
> Hello there,
> i have been using the nvidia 340 driver for some time with an
> older nvidia gpu, now i have a gtx 960 and decided to use the
> newest nvidia driver.
> In order to use X11 I load the nvidia-modeset kernelmodule,
> X11 works nicely but now all other tty's (0-7) are completely
> messed up and only show gibberish, is there some fix for that?

If you haven't already, switch from sc to vt (check for the
entry "kern.vty=vt" in /boot/loader.conf). This will usually
work for "X vs. console + KMS" kind of problems.

More information:

https://wiki.freebsd.org/Newcons

And of course "man vt". :-)

https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=vt&sektion=4