Date:      Sat, 30 May 1998 08:04:13 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Tim Yeung <tyeung@dciem.dnd.ca>
Cc:        Open Systems Networking <opsys@mail.webspan.net>, FREEBSD-NEWBIES@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs for 2.1.5

On Fri, May 29, 1998 at 09:24:22AM -0500, Tim Yeung wrote:
> Hi there:
> 1. I am running 2.2.5 ( take me 3 weeks to install and setup ).
> Is it possible that you can show to how to use "cvsup" ,to upgrade it
> to 2.2.6 or to the latest version in the future without
> re-installation?

You might find what you need to know in the Handbook. If you do want to
keep up to date with the very latest changes, you'll be expected to
subscribe to the freebsd-stable mailing list for a while before you start
using cvsup. Some suggest a month. But for most of us the latest release
version is perfectly adequate and that's a different story.

If you just want to do a single "upgrade", freebsd-questions is the place
to ask after reading about installing in the Handbook. Also go to
2.2.6-RELEASE on the FTP site, and read all of the *.TXT files there. All
of them. They contain very important information about upgrading.

>From a microsoft user's perspective, a FreeBSD upgrade is not much
different from the idea of an installation. It's never a simple matter of
plugging in a couple of new files. The whole system has to be built to
work together. The last thing you'd want here is advice from newbies :-)

> 2. I am providing PPP dial-in service to users using PPPD. Is there a
> way to drop the line when the line is idle for a specify time?
>
> Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience on FreeBSD.

Most of those with knowledge and experience are found in
freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, where you will have more success with both
of these questions. Come back here any time you're not sure where to go
for answers, or if you want to talk about newbies activities in general.

You might also want to look at http://www.welearn.com.au/freebsd/newbies/
for general guidance about getting help, and for a list of newbies
resources see http://www.freebsd.org/newbies.html which will be updated
and expanded in a couple of days.

--

Regards,