Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 2000 12:36:13 -0800
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@sftw.com>
To:        Mark Bath <mark@baggywrinkle.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with VMWare crashing..

Mark Bath wrote:

> I have installed the latest version of the VMWare port (2.0.3.799). The
> installation went succesfully. When I try and run Win2K (installed on another
> partition) VMWare traps when Windows tryies to display the intial Win2K boot
> graphic. I have two hardware profiles in Windows and am able to select the VMware
> one and then crashes.

Sony VAIOs are ACPI machines. There is a note on the vmware web site
that says that attempting to book win2k with the ACPI kernel and HAL
will fail miserably. You can set it up to use the normal kernel and HAL
using their instructions, but it's a big pain and I bet you'd be happier
just running win9x in a virtual disk. :/