Date:      Wed, 10 Mar 2004 14:09:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      samy lancher <washville2003@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd@celestial.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Server access using Samba from out side LAN.

Ok, here is what i understood. I need to set up VPN server on my FreeBSD server giving permission to the outside XP system to access the server. On the outside XP system, I need to connect VPN box (eg. LinkSys part number BEFVP41) to the system and this one does not require any additional VPN client because the builtin IPSec client in XP machine will create a tunnel between the client and server. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,

naveen.

Bill Campbell <freebsd@celestial.com> wrote:On Wed, Mar 10, 2004, samy lancher wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. The XP system outside our LAN is not in another
> LAN. It is just an individual system. So does it work the same
> for this system. Could you please refer any good manual to achieve my
> goal.

There are IPSec clients that run on XP that will connect to the LinkSys and
similar VPN boxes from Netgear and others. As a general rule, no Windows
box should ever be connected directly to the Internet as there are far too
many ways for worms to access the Microsoft virus, Windows with a direct
connection.

Bill
--
INTERNET: bill@Celestial.COM Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
UUCP: camco!bill PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way

Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are
men who want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean
without the roar of its many waters.
-- Frederick Douglass