Date:      Tue, 30 Nov 2004 15:45:55 -0500
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@dclg.ca>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: isp driver not 64 bit?

>>>>> "Peter" == Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org> writes:

Peter> On Tuesday 30 November 2004 11:39 am, Wilko Bulte wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 08:05:39PM -0500, freebsd-list@dclg.ca
>> wrote..
>>
>> > After a bunch of frustrating debugging, I've tenatively come to
>> the > conclusion that the isp(4) driver is not 64 bit safe --- at
>> the > very least insofar as the amd64 platform is concerned.
>>
>> Side note: isp(4) has been in use for years on Alpha, and I do not
>> recall having seen problems like yours on it.  Mind you, not much
>> FC connections I ever used on it.  The only thing critical for
>> success on Alpha is loading ispfw.ko *always*.  Matt (mjacob) has
>> noted that multiple times, and he is absolutely right.
>>
>> Wilko

Peter> I haven't seen an alpha with more than 2G of ram that we booted
Peter> on.  Is it possible that isp has never been tested with >4G
Peter> ram?

I had the machine tested with hw.physmem=2g and it works.

Peter> Secondly..  what release is this on?  I'm wondering if the
Peter> horrific busdma bugs in 5.3-RELEASE might be a problem if the
Peter> machine does have
>> 4G ram.

I updated to -STABLE as of yesterday morning and it changed the nature
of the panic somewhat, but did not fix it.

Peter> Third, is this a machine ram size problem or a disk volume size
Peter> problem?  The original post was about a 131G FC volume and
Peter> calculating the wrong number of sectors and the wrong sector
Peter> size...

Someone pointed out to me that my integer was 0xDEADBEEF ... which
somewhat squared with my use of 'options INVARIANTS' on the kernel.
Note that the scsi_da.c size printf shows the correct size.

Dave.

|David Gilbert, Independent Contractor.       | Two things can only be     |
|Mail:       dave@daveg.ca                    |  equal if and only if they |
|http://daveg.ca                              |   are precisely opposite.  |