Date:      Sat, 06 Feb 1999 06:43:43 -0800
From:      Don Dugger <dugger@hotlz.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unix vs unix-like and unix-type

Sorry, I really don't want to offend anybody, however I worked at DEC
West right after Cutter left for M$ with NT. Cutter was the one who
headed up the NT developement, and he was most definitely a VMS guy. In
fact he rather disliked UNIX and saw it as the down fall of DEC. At DEC
he was noted for this attitude. He was also the developer of the
Mini-Vax. At the time DEC was moving from Ultrix, which BTW was based on
BSD 4.2, to OSF/1, within DEC anything but UNIX was politically correct.
There had been a battle between OSF/1 and NT at least in Cutter's mind,
and NT lost. So Cutter took NT and went to M$, So the story goes. Right
after that a project was started at DEC, for M$, to port NT to the new
Alpha chip. This BTW was not a very popular project at DEC in fact the
engineers on the project disliked NT immensely and they were VMS guys.
This all took place in ~1990 and ~1991. In the end Ultrix (UNIX)
survived and DEC didn't. As to the question, what is UNIX, NT is not
UNIX it's NT developed in the tradition of VMS and M$. And for those of
you that have worked with VMS you know that it is very different then
UNIX. As one who has worked on UNIX sense 1981 and computer sense 1972
and saw BSD 4.2 replace 4.1 (what a wonderful event) I have listed to
all the old religious wars between System V and BSD. I don't care who
owns the name UNIX. FreeBSD is UNIX in the tradition of BSD, that BTW
includes NetBSD, BSDI and OpenBSD, everything else is UNIX-like. I say
this because the System V tradition has been lost. It was lost when Bell
Labs give up UNIX. Ok I'm a BSD bigot, so shot me. But I am also a UNIX
bigot. BTW I live in Redmond, WA in the same neighberhood as the NT
developers. Maybe I should inview some of them and put it on my Web
site.

Please take no offence I say all this with my tongue firmly planted in
my cheek.

Don 8)