Date:      Wed, 15 Feb 1995 13:29:16 -0600
From:      Terry Lee <terry@uivlsi.csl.uiuc.edu>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   /tmp or /var/tmp?

	Shouldn't gcc be using /tmp instead of /var/tmp?  Making /tmp a MFS
is a common practice.  /var/tmp shouldn't be made MFS because vi.recover is
there.

	By the way, how can I make FreeBSD not use the FPU?  Disabling npx0
makes all programs abort with error 8.  I'm trying to figure out how FPU
intensive maplay is.  Would compiling it with -msoft-float do it or would
libm still use the FPU?  My 486DX40 can't even keep up with one channel in
real time.  If decoding MPEG layer 2 is FPU intensive, then this could be
a real blow for 486 chips.

					Terry Lee
					terry@uivlsi.csl.uiuc.edu