Date:      Fri, 18 Jun 1999 17:38:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Dan Langille <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.1 chicken-and-egg kernel situation

On Wed, 16 Jun 1999, Dan Langille wrote:

> I have a box (fred) which on which 3.* would not install because the PCI SCSI
> controller was not recognized.  2.2.8 installs without a problem.  3.* doesn't
> see the PCI controller.

What brand/model of SCSI card?  If it's not supported, it's not supported.

> I have been provided with a patch which fixes this situation and allows 3.1
> to install.  I created a custom kernel with this patch and copied it to the
> install floppies.  This allowed me to install 3.1-Release.  However, after rebooting,
> I get a "cannot mount root" error (sorry, the exact message is at home).

The installed kernel does not have the driver on it.  Try to get the
person who provided you with the patch to build a kernel for you.  We ran
into this with the DPT cards until they were officially merged.

> My proposed solution is to copy the patched kernel [described in the
> first paragraph] used on the install floppies to the root directory.
> But how to do that?  I assume I can do that using a fixit floppy and
> copy from another floppy to fred.

As mentioned previously, use the emergency holographic shell :-)

Doug White