Date:      Mon, 25 Oct 2004 10:37:12 +0400
From:      "Yuriy Tsibizov" <Yuriy.Tsibizov@gfk.ru>
To:        "Travis Poppe" <tlpbsd@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Mild sound distortion with FreeBSD 5.3-BETA7

> > I've recently noticed a mild sound distortion in XMMS and other
> > applications that output sound. I'm not sure when I started noticing
> > this, but I don't believe it has always been present in the=20
> 5.x branch
> > (and if it has, I haven't noticed it up until a month or two ago).
>=20
> I've found a solution to my sound problem.
>=20
> I recently switched to this third party driver for SB=20
> Live!/Audigy cards:=20
>=20
> http://chibis.persons.gfk.ru/audigy/
>=20
> As far as I can tell, the sound distortion problem is _completely_
> gone. If any of you have this same problem and own an SB Live/Audigy,
> try the driver I mentioned above.
emu10kx has large default hardware buffer (4096*8), emu10k1 uses only =
4096 (one emu10k page).=20

You can make small change to emu10k1.c (#define EMU_DEFAULT_BUFSZ =
EMUPAGESIZE*8)
or set hint.pcm.0.buffersize=3D"32768" (assuming your card is pcm0)=20
in your kernel hints file and you should see better playback of long =
files.=20

This change will also bring you problem with very small files=20
(less than EMU_DEFAULT_BUFSZ) - you will not hear them =20
or only hear a small portion, like first (?) 4096 bytes.

Yuriy