Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 2017 11:01:05 +0800
From:      blubee blubeeme <gurenchan@gmail.com>
To:        Sid <sid@bsdmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Canberra

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 10:19 AM, Sid <sid@bsdmail.com> wrote:

> >Sid; Mon Dec 18 22:09:36 UTC 2017
> > Canberra is an audio application for playing simple sounds like "DING!".
> > For playing sound, I am convinced that graphical dependencies for
> audio/libcanberra and audio/libcanberra-gtk3 aren't needed:
> x11-toolkits/gtk30, x11-toolkits/gtk20, accessibility/atk.
> > According to Freshports, both libcanberra and libcanberra-gtk3 refer to
> the file libcanberra-0.30.tar.xz of the same SHA256 and size.
> > The difference between these two is one pulls in gtk3 as well.
>
> > Pango is for left to right text, perhaps for displaying audio
> information to the user.
> > Its description is its "code is platform- and toolkit-independent."
> > For it to display a simple banner or visual it shouldn't require heavy
> graphical dependencies.
> > Also, Pango should be made into an option for Canberra, so it can
> definitely be compiled without atk, gtk30 or gtk20.
> > Pango doesn't require these three graphical dependencies, so Canberra
> especially shouldn't.
> > USE_GNOME should also be a Makefile option in ports that are only about
> sound (libraries, applications, audio server components) and not graphics.
>
> libcanberra and libcanberra-gtk3 should be replaced with
> audio/freedesktop-sound-theme.
> Pango appears to be a different implementation of Bango, which is not in
> ports, but here: https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Bango/.

quick question, I am porting py-canberra which isn't required but an
optional dependency for another port that I am working on.
ibus-cangjie.

The ibus-cangjie port needs py-gobject anyways; so a whole lot of gtk stuff
gets pulled in.
I wonder should I leave it as is or make a dependency from this thing
you're working on instead?

I was waiting for @flavors to calm down before I started working on the
port again.