Date:      Sun, 10 Nov 1996 09:25:26 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Cc:        sos@freebsd.org
Subject:   New PS/2 mouse driver stalled

I have read the comments on the new syscons|ps/2 mouse driver bugs, but
looking at Bruce's comments regarding the new syscons 'polling' behavior
it looks like it wouldn't matter since it really requires a new 'combo'
driver that differentiates between keyboard interrupts and mouse
interrupts, which has been the 'goal' for a long time with no
resolution.

I believe the new driver is 'better' than the old driver, but I don't
believe it will work any better with the syscons changes that folks are
complaining about.

The author of the new driver would like to work on it more, and has even
provided a man-page but none of this matters until we get the
syscons/mouse interaction resolved.  I agree that syscons is within it's
rights to poll the keyboard, but it means that the PS/2 driver will not
work if I read Bruce's notes correctly.

Nate

ps. S'ren, is it possible to have the XT_KEYBOARD code turned into a
flag for 2.2/2.1.6?  This would allow ThinkPad owners to use the GENERIC
boot floppy and not require any special boot floppy?  I could provide
the (simple) patch if necessary.