Date:      Sat, 14 Jul 2001 16:24:47 -0700
From:      John Gordon <john.gordon@windriver.com>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with Upgrade to 4.3-RELEASE (April 2001 CD)

Hello Kevin,

Firstly, thanks for the answers.

> I can't help you with most of the problem. I have a Xircom and have
> had no similar problems.

I have found the cause; in the rc.conf file the pccardd_flags had been
set to "-i 10" forcing it to use that IRQ. Removing that, and then
fixing the list of free interrupts in /etc/pccard.conf to remove the
ones already claimed (just about all of them!).

> But maybe I can help on the issues of pcic1.
>
> The GENERIC kernel has the pcic1 device listed as "disable". To use
> the device either:
> remove the 'disable' and rebuild the kernel or
> add the line 'enable pcic1' to /boot/kernel.conf and add (if needed)
> 'userconfig_script_load="YES"' to /boot/loader.conf.

Thanks, that gets the external slots enabled - glad I asked before
hunting for the answer in the code ;-)

> If you have a spare IRQ or two, you might assign them to the pcic
> devices. Some laptops seem to have problems running in polling
> mode. This can be done either be building a new kernel or in
> kernel.conf, as with the disable above.

Tried this, but it doesn't seem to detect any card insertions or
removals; works OK in polled mode though so I'm not that bothered.

Thanks again for the help,

John...