Date:      Wed, 21 Nov 2001 13:33:36 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
To:        "Mike Meyer" <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: home pc use

Mike writes:

> I've never had a client or manager open-minded
> enough to use free software and stupid enough
> to need that particular comfort blanket.

Or smart enough to understand the importance of support and yet stupid enough to
put mission-critical applications on unsupported freeware.

The fact is, with all but the most trivial freeware, you need competent in-house
support if you plan to use it for any critical applications.  If something
critical crashes, you will not have time to go searching for pro bono support
somewhere on the Net.

> There are certainly better tools than ftp for
> maintaining file structure. Personally, I use
> Perforce.

Does it require X?

> Yes, it autoindents for HTML, XML, C and Perl.

Sounds good.

> It doesn't pretend to be a WYSIWYG HTML editor,
> but it can format HTML and follow links on the
> fly.

Uh-oh.  Does it require X?

> MSIE 4.x may have been better than Netscape 4.x,
> but trying to get something that did anything
> complicated, worked in both of them, and followed
> the standards was a nightmare.

That was Netscape's problem, not Microsoft's.  I stopped supporting Netscape 4.x
over a year ago because the browser has so many bugs that it at least doubles
development time for any page or site, and because virtually no one is using
Netscape browsers today, anyway (less than 2% of visitors to my site).  In order
to support Netscape 4.x, you have to write two versions of every page: one for
Netscape, and one for all the other browsers in the world that adhere to W3C
standards.  Either that, or you have to create pages so lame that people fall
asleep reading them.  I voted to just drop Netscape support, and write for all
the other browsers.  The poor CSS support was one of the worst problems with
that version of Netscape.

> The one I see when I look is the MS tag for
> embedding things, as opposed to OBJECT. I forget
> the name of it.

EMBED?