Date:      Fri, 2 Mar 2018 17:05:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
To:        bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
Cc:        tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net>, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can two USB flash drives conflict with each other?

> On Sat, Mar 03, 2018 at 12:32:27AM +0000, tech-lists wrote:
> > On 02/03/2018 23:13, bob prohaska wrote:
> > > The obvious solution is "don't do that!", but if somebody can offer
> > > a more insightful explanation I'd be grateful. Using two USB flash
> > > drives simultaneously would be very useful.
> >
> > I've found [this was a year ago, maybe two] that if I had two usb sticks
> > plugged in that sometimes they'd be detected in reverse order to what I
> > expected.
> >
> > What I mean is that sometimes the device called /dev/da0 and the one
> > called /dev/da1 would swap on reboot. I suppose it would depend on which
> > one woke up first. So if I had made /dev/da0p1, allocated it as swap,
> > /dev/da0p1 as data, perhaps put the ports tree there, /dev/da1p1 as
> > data, perhaps used the entire device for data, sometimes it'd boot, look
> > at /dev/da0 which was /dev/da1 previously, not seen swap, and complained
> > loudly.
> >
> > I think there is a way to wire device identities to names but it might
> > need GPT rather than MBR as a partitioning scheme. I worked around it by
> > labelling one of the usb sticks with sticky tape and ensuring it wasn't
> > plugged in before the other one when rebooting.
> >

> On the first try I plugged the second USB drive into a running machine,
> producing the errors reported. It's not obvious how a _second_ device
> can "unseat" one that is already represented in /dev/....

I can not think of anything that should unseat a device either,
unless somehow in the physical act of plugging it in the other
one became disconnected and a bus probe happened.

> On a later try I plugged the second USB flash device in and powered
> the Pi3 up, whence the kernel got confused over which was which. That
> makes slightly more sense. I think that might be fixable with labels
> in /etc/fstab. In my case the second drive was labeled much like the
> first, so it couldn't help.

Right, labels are good :-)

> Somewhere I got the idea USB flash devices had a unique serial number,
> or equivalent, so that more than one could co-exist on a host.
> Is this notion mistaken?

You should be able to have as many USB flash devices as you want
connected to a system, there are guys that have done silly things
like "raid 5 on USB" using a stack of flash drives.

I have been on service calls that I shake my head at how many
external USB attached hard drives are attached to a windows
box.