Date:      Mon, 4 Nov 2002 05:50:27 +0100
From:      Nils Vogels <nivo+freebsd-questions@yuckfou.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NIS.wheel group oddity

Hi guys,

I'm setting up a NIS environment, and I'm having trouble adding a NIS account
into the wheel group.

The NIS client, simply won't allow the user, that is in the NIS group map as
being in 'wheel' to use the su command, because 'su' thinks the user is not in
the wheel group:

--[ begin paste ]--
Welcome to FreeBSD!

> id
uid=500(user) gid=500(user) groups=500(user), 0(wheel)
> su
su: you are not in the correct group (wheel) to su root.
> ypcat group
<snip some>
user:*:500:
wheel:*:0:root,user
> ypcat passwd
<snip>
user:*:500:500:The User:/home/user:/bin/tcsh
--[ end paste ]--

I'm drawing a blank, this should all work as far as I can see, especially
since ypbind is running, and the following imports are at the end of the local
passwd/group:

passwd:
+@EUFORIA:*:::::
+:*:::::/sbin/nologin
group:
+:*::

It's probably something stupid I'm overlooking .. could you guys give me a
hand ? :)

Gr,

--
Nils Vogels		PGP:0xC26BD15F Available on keyservers.
S@H:6098WU/8.140yr	--> setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu. Will you find aliens?

Sometimes you can do everything right, and still lose -JL Picard