Date:      Sat, 5 Jun 2004 18:09:20 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Subject:   Re: buildkernel and perl5

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 06:07:47PM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:

> 	Troubles with buildkernel and 4.8
> 	I just rebuilt perl5.8 and reinstalled it.  make buildworld
> 	completes, but buildkernel fails ...  Here is where it dies:
>

> cd /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/TAO;  MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/usr/obj
> MACHINE_ARCH=i386  MACHINE=i386
	[[ ... ]]
> perl5:No such file or directory
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/TAO.
> *** Error code 1
>

> 	Both perl and perl5 exist; I've used "port" and "system"
> 	and, yes, the symlinks change.  Anybody know what's going
> 	on?

	This is another FWIW, next time this happens to anyone else.
	My bad-memory problems were kindly fixed by a gentleman from
	the Seattle BSD users group, but there were scores of files
	missing (vanished) all over.  Several missing binaries caused
	the /usr/src/Makefile to go haywire, so I had to build/install
	the kernel the old way:

  # cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
  # [[ perform necessary kernel configuration on ``./KERNCONF'' ]]
  # config KERNCONF
  # cd ../../compile/KERNCONF
  # make depend
  # make
  # make install

	After going single-user, and mergmastering stuff,
	make installworld was broke, so I had to install several
	src trees by hand.  At last make installworld worked and
	I came back up.   There are probably lots of ports
	gone-south, but this is almost a non issue after the past
	few weeks.

	-g

--
   Gary Kline     kline@thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix