Date:      Tue, 04 Aug 1998 13:50:44 +0100
From:      Stuart Henderson <stuart@internationalschool.co.uk>
To:        =esr@snark.thyrsus.com
Cc:        reyesf@newsguy.com, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: branding

Eric S. Raymond wrote:

> Stuart Henderson <stuart@internationalschool.co.uk>:
> > How about the imagebase at http://www.thinker.org/ ?
>
> Looks nonprofit.

Yes, it does. It's also a very good example of what free software can
do. MS use Terraserver as a demonstration of the quality and response
time of their database/web integration systems, which show potential
commercial users what they're like.
(http://www.ntk.net/doh/terra980710.gif ;-)

I think the comparison with TS is quite valid (they are after all
doing quite a similar thing to a similar amount of data - I don't know
much about the internals of either but they do appear quite
similar...), and is a comparison likely to be drawn by many visitors
even without it being pointed out to them...

I don't know what page you would be thinking of adding examples to but
I presume http://www.opensource.org/cases.html which says:

> Here you can learn what third parties have to say about the power of the
> open-source model. Much of this material discusses Linux, but the lessons
> are not specific to Linux; they apply to open source in general.

This doesn't suggest anything about profit-vs-nonprofit anyway, and
something like thinker.org is far more impressive than the names of
some of the for-profits on the Linux-biz page you link to - for
example how many suits are even going to scroll down past the ISPs and
software developers to get to something they might recognise? Yes, I
realise that the page I mention isn't at opensource.org but it's a
fairly prominent link. (freebsd does have a commercial gallery btw, at
http://www.freebsd.org/cgallery.html, although there is nowhere near
as much information as the linuxbiz page). Names like Sony, Fluke,
3com, Boeing, Mercedes-Benz, US Postal Service *will* get recognized
if they're seen, but when they're 5 or 6 screens down the page, a lot
of people won't make it far enough to see them.

> But you can have somebody associated with the project
> send me a short writeup for consideration.

Sorry, I don't know anyone associated with the project, I'm just
trying to suggest something that makes free software look *very* good
- I could do a writeup if you like but it will just be constructed
from what I can find on the web. Anyone reading know more about it
than me?

Stuart