Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 2019 11:09:34 +0100
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Toomas Soome <tsoome@me.com>
Cc:        KIRIYAMA Kazuhiko <kiri@truefc.org>, FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: r352368 can't boot

On Tue, Sep 17, 2019, 6:47 AM Toomas Soome <tsoome@me.com> wrote:

> > On 17 Sep 2019, at 08:30, KIRIYAMA Kazuhiko <kiri@truefc.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,all
> >
> > Yesterday I've updated latest head (r352368) and rebuild
> > 13.0-CURRENT. All went fine, but when I boot, it's stopped
> > at boot stage. Then I typed `boot', booted normally and put
> > login prompt and login go ahead. But `shutdown -r now',
> > stopped at loader prompt same as login case. What happened?
> > All I've done is whithin bhyve VM.
> >

> > Consoles: userboot
> >
> > FreeBSD/amd64 User boot, Revision 1.1
> > (Mon Jun 18 16:11:55 UTC 2018 root@releng3.nyi.freebsd.org)
> > xemit not found
> > Error while including /boot/frames.4th, in the line:
> >                h_el @ xemit
> >
> > can't load 'kernel'
> >
> > Type '?' for a list of commands, 'help' for more detailed help.
> > OK
> >

> This is unfortunate case where the guest image has more recent boot
> scripts than hosts /boot/userboot.so has. I did push the fix for that issue
> to stable/11 and stable/12. The patch does introduce xemit word.
>
> Such situation is unfortunate, but accident waiting to happen with this
> method where we are attempting to use bootloader (userboot.so) from older
> system to load  guest vm.

Can we provide a fallback to xemit builtin for old systems without it? I
believe we did this for other things as a transition. Forth has a way to do
this, though we need to make sure we properly constrain what we pass to
emit...

Warner

P.s. I'm at legoland this week, so I can't look at it for a bit.

rgds,