Date:      Sat, 14 Mar 1998 16:05:38 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        spork <spork@super-g.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, jfieber@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help! Upgrade 2.2.5-RELEASE to 2.2-STABLE.

> I think one thing that would help would be a better search engine.
> Sometimes the one that exists can be a real beast, especially when looking
> for a question you've seen answered.  I don't mean to slight whomever is
> responsible for putting it together...

That'd be John Fieber, and I believe he's made any number of public
requests for help in his quest for a better search engine.  The
current one is based on wais and generally hated (if for no other
reason than the fact that it likes to dump core a lot of the time)
but it's all we could find for free.

> I recently found www.nexial.nl/search.html.  This is apparently a site
> where Nexial shows off the capabilities of their search engine software by
> making several popular mailing lists (firewalls, BSDI, Ascend-users, etc.)
> available available through their search engine.  It works very very well.

That still doesn't solve our problem of needing something to run on
www.freebsd.org, however.  This Nexial thing may work very very well,
but is it also very very available under reasonable terms? :-)

I guess I'll ask them and try to find out.

					Jordan