Date:      Sun, 11 Feb 2001 03:04:05 +0100
From:      "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        Marco S Hyman <marc@snafu.org>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Inspiron fan problems (was: laptop cpu fan)

Marco S Hyman wrote:

> "Jose M. Alcaide" writes:
>  > > A NOP loop won't make the processor run any cooler.  A HLT instruction
>  > > will, and that's what FreeBSD does, at any rate.  I'd be surprised if
>  > > OpenBSD didn't do the same thing.
>  >
>  > I wonder why apm_cpu_idle() (in sys/i386/apm.c) is referenced from
>  > nowhere in the kernel.
>
> /sys/arch/i386/i386/locore.s:1670:      call    _apm_cpu_idle

What FreeBSD version? In 4.2-RELEASE and 5.0-CURRENT, the file
sys/i386/i386/locore.s does _not_ contain any reference to
apm_cpu_idle(). In fact, a grep search on all kernel source files
does not find any reference to this function. Whether this is
important or not, I dont't know. Probably it is not.

-- JMA
****** Jose M. Alcaide  //  jose@we.lc.ehu.es  //  jmas@FreeBSD.org ******
** "Beware of Programmers who carry screwdrivers" --  Leonard Brandwein **