Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 2000 20:12:03 -0600 (CST)
From:      Dave Howland <shadow@KIWI-Computer.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Moused doesn't reinitialize mouse after removal and reinsertion...

Here's a puzzle for someone who has a little free time...

I've got a manual switchbox to switch my mouse, keyboard, and monitor
between to computers. It's a manual switchbox, so it doesn't send a constant
signal to both systems (like those fancy - and expensive - automatic ones).
Here's the problem: When my mouse (actully a trackball, a PS/2 Logitech
TrackMan Marble) is unplugged from the system, it ceases to remember how to
send a signal to the system (I assume some initialization is being done by
moused when it starts up). So, when I switch over to my second system and
back over to the FreeBSD one, the cursor doesn't respond to any mouse
movement. To fix it I have to kill moused and start it back up. Sort of a
pain, albeit not completely unbearable. Anyone have any theories on how we
could get moused to a) detect the mouse being unplugged and reinserted and
b) reinitialize the mouse after this happens? Here's some fun info type
stuff (in case it'll help)...

I'm running FreeBSD 4.2-BETA #10 (although I believe the problem existed
under FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE too.