Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 2001 03:52:29 -0800
From:      "Danny Yoo" <danny@vkpc.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Adding a second HD

I was wondering how to go about setting up a second disk for my FreeBSD 4.2
system? I currently have a 4.2gb drive as /dev/ad0s1x (x is 0-4) and I have
physically installed a 3.1gb drive.

I tried using sysinstall to configure (fdisk and label) the disk, but I get
a:

"No disks found! Please verify that your disk controller is being properly
probed at boot time. Read the Hardware guide..."

I read the hardware docs, as well as "Installing a Second Hard Drive" on the
FreeBSD cheat sheets (www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/) but the docs don't
say much and the cheat sheet doesn't really explain what to do. It say to
include:

controller  wdc0  at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 flags 0xa0ffa0ff
disk        wd0   at wdc0 drive 0
disk        wd1   at wdc0 drive 1

into the kernel and recompile. But I can't seem to find the "controller"
entry, nor can I find any mention of "ad0" which is the device my current HD
should be. Assuming that I have a standard vanilla PCI, IDE-based Pentium
233, can anybody help me?

Thanks,

Danny