Date:      Sun, 12 May 1996 16:12:53 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        rnordier@iafrica.com (Robert Nordier)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Questions), chat@allegro.lemis.de
Subject:   Re: UNIX System

Robert Nordier writes:

> Greg Lehey wrote:
>>
>> Hugh D. McVicker writes:
>>>
>>> Is Freebsd a UNIX operating system for PCs?
>>
>> Yes and no.  FreeBSD is derived from UNIX, but as of a couple of years
>> ago, the term "UNIX" is a trade mark, not a description of an
>> operating system.  As a result, FreeBSD many not be called UNIX.  I'm
>> still wondering, however, whether it may not be called "Berkeley
>> UNIX".
>
> Does 'Unix as trademark' really date back only a couple of years?
>
> I have a series of P.J. Plauger articles (Computer Language, 1988-9)
> in which he discusses protecting intellectual property.  He writes:
>
>      If you play fast and loose with the UNIX name in any of your
>      ads, you will get a letter from AT&T.  The letter will remind
>      you that UNIX is a proprietary etc., etc., and suggest ways
>      you should refer to it in the future so as not to introduce
>      the least element of uncertainty in the minds of readers of
>      your ads....  They have a copy of the letter in their files
>      to prove they are assiduously defending their trademark.
>
> Since Bill's articles were the only reason I ever bought 'Computer
> Language' (after the defection of Stan Kelly-Bootle) anyway, I'd
> hate to think he's been misleading me all this time. 8)

Sorry, I expressed myself badly.  Yes, of course UNIX (not Unix) has
been a trademark of its owners for decades.  I was referring to the
fact that BSD may no longer be called UNIX, whereas older versions
were.  4.3BSD was definitely UNIX, but 4.4BSD isn't.  That change goes
back to about the Net/2 times, I'd say.

I'm copying this one to chat, since I can imagine that there could be
significant followup.

Greg