Date:      Thu, 30 Jun 2016 13:56:38 -0700
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stuff I don't understand, and maybe never will.

In message <20160630203013.1038690d@max-BSD>,
maxnix <maxnix.bsd@gmail.com> wrote:

>And, talking about Windows, this document came in mind:
>https://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/winstupid/1

This is excellent!  Thanks for sharing!

>I hope that, in a world where telecommunication devices are more and
>more pervasive, in schools will teach to kids not only how to work with
>computers, but even how computers work.

I think that if schools could at least just teach kids why they have
good reason to be properly aware of, and concerned about the perils
of their devices,  *and* if they could also teach kids about the long
tails they are all leaving for themselves on social media... which
may perhaps never disappear in their lifetimes... then that alone
would be progress.

Regards,
rfg

P.S.  I've been firmly convinced for at least a couple of decades now
that crap software (and crap firmware) was all fostered, encouraged,
and made possible by U.S. legislation and/or court interpretations
thereof which have made it virtually impossible to even get past first
base if one attempts to file a product liability claim based on a
software (or firmware) defect.

In essentially every other industry, crappy dangerous products, sold
to the public en mass (and generally with no warnings) can be taken
to task in a U.S. court of law.  But not software.  In this way,
software is in rare and elite good company with other marvelous
products which are also and likewise immune from product liability
actions, in particular tobacco and firearms.

And to anybody who wishes to retort "Yea, but software doesn't kill
people!" I respectfully suggest that you first google for "Therac-25".