Date:      Tue, 5 May 2015 08:24:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "current@freebsd.org" <current@FreeBSD.ORG>,  Jilles Tjoelker <jilles@stack.nl>,  Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: seekdir/readdir patch .. Call for Review.

Julian Elischer wrote:
> On 5/3/15 10:33 PM, Jilles Tjoelker wrote:
> > On Fri, May 01, 2015 at 07:17:42PM +0300, Konstantin Belousov
> > wrote:
> >> Can you explain your expectations from the whole readdir() vs.
> >> parallel
> >> directory modifications interaction ?  From what I understood so
> >> far,
> >> there is unlocked modification of the container and parallel
> >> iterator
> >> over the same container.  IMO, in such situation, whatever tweaks
> >> you
> >> apply to the iterator, it is still cannot be made reliable.
> >> Before making single-purpose changes to the libc readdir and
> >> seekdir
> >> code, or to the kernel code, it would be useful to state exact
> >> behaviour
> >> of the dirent machinery we want to see. No, 'make samba works in
> >> my
> >> situation' does not sound good enough.
> > Consider the subsequence of entries that existed at opendir() time
> > and
> > were not removed until now. This subsequence is clearly defined and
> > does
> > not have concurrency problems. The order of this subsequence must
> > remain
> > unchanged and seekdir() must be correct with respect to this
> > subsequence.
> >
> > Additionally, two other kinds of entries may be returned. New
> > entries
> > may be inserted anywhere in between the entries of the subsequence,
> > and
> > removed entries may be returned as if they were still part of the
> > subsequence (so that not every readdir() needs a system call).
> >
> > A simple implementation for UFS-style directories is to store the
> > offset
> > in the directory (all bits of it, not masking off the lower 9
> > bits).
> > This needs d_off or similar in struct dirent. The kernel
> > getdirentries()
> > then needs a similar loop as the old libc seekdir() to go from the
> > start
> > of the 512-byte directory block to the desired entry (since an
> > entry may
> > not exist at the stored offset within the directory block).
> >
> > This means that a UFS-style directory cannot be compacted (existing
> > entries moved from higher to lower offsets to fill holes) while it
> > is
> > open for reading. An NFS exported directory is always open for
> > reading.
> >
> > This also means that duplicate entries can only be returned if that
> > particular filename was deleted and created again.
> >
> > Without kernel support, it is hard to get telldir/seekdir
> > completely
> > reliable. The current libc implementation is wrong since the
> > "holes"
> > within the block just disappear and change the offsets of the
> > following
> [...]
Ok, I think I finally understand the bug that this patch is fixing...
If telldir() is called when at the end of a block read by getdirentries(),
it sets loc_seek to the seek position for the block and loc_loc to the
offset of the end of the block.
This is somewhat bogus, but works for the simple read-only case for seekdir()
because it does a readdir()->getdirentries() of the next block.

This patch fixes the telldir entry to refer to the beginning of the next
block, so that seekdir() seeks to the correct block.

I could argue that a more correct version of your fixup function would
scan the telldir list for a match instead of just testing the first one.
However, I now see that once fixed up, it won't match it again, so your
code seems safe, just not completely correct.

I'll take a closer look at it and put something in pahbricator later
to-day, but I think it's ok. I would suggest describing the bug would
help simple types like me figure it out.

Thanks for your work on this, rick