Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 2003 11:26:17 -0800
From:      "Scott R." <fluid@sfmidimafia.com>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "READ_BIG command timeout" on CDROM drive

BelletJr@aol.com wrote:
 > Hi all!
 >
 > When I read cdroms with fbsd 5.0, the following message appears in
 > the console very often (it seems to happen with every cdrom I try):
 >
 >> acd0: READ_BIG command timeout - resetting ata0: resetting devices
 >> .. done
 >

 > It is repeated indefinitely and I can't kill -9 the process that is
trying to
 > read the cdrom. "umount -f /cdrom" also gets stuck and doesn't write
 > any error messages.
 >
 > The driver in use is cd9660: RockRidge Extension.
 >
 > I have to reboot to have access to the cdrom drive again. And
 > besides,
the
 > shutdown process does not end every time when the system is in this
 > state.
 >
 > Is there a means to have access to the cdrom drive again without
rebooting?
 > I have not seen any bug report for this problem; am I right?

This is just a "me too" but the exact same thing happens to me and I
still have not found a way to fix it.  I searched the google archives
and the FreeBSD mailing list archives to no avail.  I posted the problem
here and received no solutions.

I cannot read audio off the disc and if I mount a data CD, it mounts
okay, but will not umount without hanging and I also have to reboot the
system to get access to the drive at all.

-Scott