Date:      Sun, 13 Aug 2006 20:55:32 -0400
From:      Tom Parquette <BCSFD204@twcny.rr.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem erasing swap parition before encrypting

Hi all.
I'm trying to turn on swap encryption on a 6.1-S machine.
I ran into problems trying to write the random data over the swap space.
I get the following messages:
Script started on Sun Aug 13 20:48:28 2006
P3R-233# dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/ad4s1b bs=1m

dd: /dev/ad4s1b: Operation not permitted
1+0 records in
0+0 records out
0 bytes transferred in 0.029574 secs (0 bytes/sec)
P3R-233# exit

exit

Script done on Sun Aug 13 20:48:55 2006

I have tried this on several swap partitions and have gotten the same
result.  I have also tried this to a new partition that I would like to
encrypt as a test and I the the same messages.

I'm running as root.
I have swap turned off to that swap file.
I have tried coming up in single user mode.
I have even unmounted the other filesystems on that disk.
I checked and /dev/ad3a1b is owned by root:wheel.

Any ideas would be more than welcome.
Thanks...