Date:      Sun, 16 Jan 2005 11:01:38 -0600
From:      "J.D. Bronson" <jbronson@wixb.com>
To:        Eric F Crist <ecrist@secure-computing.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: help logging a crash

At 10:49 AM 1/16/2005, you wrote:
>If you enable debugging in the kernel, IIRC, you should have a dump file
>in the system root directory when the system crashes.  If you tell us a
>little more about the system you're using, such as hardware, specific
>services you're running, we might be able to tell you why it's
>crashing.  Also, the output of uname -a would be beneficial.
>
>HTH

I was running 5.3 RELEASE. I just updated to 5.3-STABLE to see how things go.

FreeBSD shadow 5.3-STABLE FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE #0: Sun Jan 16 09:47:10 CST
2005     root@shadow:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/SHADOW  i386

This is a Pentium 4 3.06(HTT) and I have enabled SMP.

it runs very well, but anywhere from an hour to a week and the machine
reboots. Last time this happened, I had disconnected the LAN from the
machine in case something was causing this from the network. (nope).

I then thought it was related to SCSI, so I installed a new 5.3 on IDE.
Still reboots. I have 2 identical machines and they both exhibit this. So I
doubt its faulty hardware. These machines can run any other OS for weeks on
end.

Just freebsd 5.3 causes issues. 5.2.1 was rock solid for months and no
reboots. (I dont do upgrades, but fresh installs..) so when I installed 5.3
the trouble started.

last week I had a panic which caused the machine to halt and I posted it
here. No dump file though and no reply. All I did was telnet into the
machine and it panicked.

So...before I give up on 5.3, I wanted to see if there was anything I could
do to help the developers track down this reboot_at_random troubles.

PS - these machines have less than 10 users and virtually no load. All they
do is run DNS and SMTP.

--
J.D. Bronson
Aurora Health Care // Information Services // Milwaukee, WI USA