Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2007 01:38:02 -0500
From:      Andrew Tamm <nemox@deathwish.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   no data from USB mouse

I am having no success at all in getting a Microsoft Optical Wireless Desktop
Pro mouse to work in FreeBSD 6.2-RC2.

The kernel sees it as:
ums0: Microsoft Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop
ums0: 5 buttons and Z dir and a TILT dir.

cat /dev/usm0 gives no data, no matter what buttons are pushed on the mouse.

After looking online, I saw a few things to try, the first of which to recompile
the kernel with USB_dEBUG option enabled.  After doing this, and cranking
hw.usb.usm.debug up to 10, I still can get nothing out of the usm0, however,
typing cat /dev/usm0 and then hitting ^C gives this following message: (note the
system has been rebooted with a second wired mouse attached at usm0, so the
offending device has moved to usm1 )

ums_intr: sc=0xc50bf000 status=6
ums_intr: data = 00 00 00 00 00 00

The relevant portion of usbdevs -dv is:

Controller /dev/usb2:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000), Intel(0x0000)
                                     , rev 1.00
   uhub2
  port 1 addr 2: low speed, power 100 mA, config 1, Microsoft Wireless Optical
De                                     sktop® 1.00(0x008a), Microsoft(0x045e),
rev 73.73
    ukbd0
    ums1

I have verified that this mouse does work in windows, but have no idea what is
going on.  Please give me some pointers on anything else I can try.  Should this
be asked on freebsd-usb?

Thanks,
Andrew