Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 1996 12:01:01 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Drinking (Was: We want Perl!)

> > Many hangovers are the result of impurities other than the alcohol
> > also causing histamine reactions.  Red wine was recently reported
> > to cause hangovers worse than white wine, for instance, because of
> > the impurities.
>
> That's recent?  In this part of the world, where people perhaps drink
> more wine, it's well-known (well, I know it, anyway :-).

Well, I remember the study results were announced in the last year
or so.  It may be "well known" but not "proven".  Now it's "proven".  8-).

> > Most wines contain sulfites as preservatives.
>
> Do they?  I know US wines often taste of sulphites, but over here
> they're either used in significantly lower quantities, or they're
> prohibited.  In Germany, I'd guess they're used in significantly lower
> quantities, and the public is told they're prohibited.

It depends on if they are rebottled or not.  If they are, there is a
requirement for a preservative.  I've seen a lot of non-US wines using
salt instead of (or in addition to) sulfites.

> > The motion sickness remedy I recommended will quiet stomach upset,
> > headache, and vomiting (if you get that drunk) the morning after.
>
> How safe is this?

Safe enough that I use it every time when riding a Air "Scare" West
turboprop commuter flight.  Their planes put "Space Mountain" to
shame...  the turbulence from the thermocline going into the heat
bubble in Phoenix can drop the aircraft several hundred feet in a
few seconds.  Motion sickness cures are your friend.  8-).

The reason I stressed "morning after" is mixing alcohol and medication
of any kind is a bad thing.

If you drink enough that you wake up drunk... well, you probably need
the Betty Ford clinic, not a hangover "cure".  If you wake up drunk,
then you should probably not take it.  8-(.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---