Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 1999 16:09:19 -0700
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Brent Scott <stimpy@admin.us.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: integrated adaptec AIC-7896 controller w/ 2.2.8

On Tue, Dec 14, 1999 at 17:41:09 -0500, Brent Scott wrote:
> (apologies for the cross-posting, I'm not sure which is the best path to follow here)
>
> We're trying to build a pair of 2.2.8 servers around Intel L440GX+ Mobos
> w/ an integrated Adaptec AIC-7896 controller, and we've learned (ack!)
> that 2.2.8 does not support U2W LVD SCSI natively.  It appears we need the
> CAM drivers.  However, since this is a virgin install, we need a bootable
> floppy that we can use to get the SCSI gear recognized for an install, or
> some other way to install 2.2.8 from scratch.  If someone can schlep a
> boot image this way that includes CAM support, or if there is a more sane
> way, please advise.

There is a CAM-modified FreeBSD snapshot from around FreeBSD 2.2.7 here:

ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.ORG/pub/FreeBSD/development/cam

I'm not sure, however, that it supports the 7896.  It might.  There are
also diffs in that directory that you can apply against 2.2.x for CAM
support.  They'll probably need tweaking to work completely.

Keep in mind that that version of CAM is fairly old at this point (it is
mid-1998 vintage), and is missing a lot of bug-fixes that have gone into
the tree since then.

I would recommend against using a CAM-modified 2.2.x if you can get around
it at all.  It really would be much easier to just use a newer release.
FreeBSD 3.3 supports your hardware, although -stable has some important
bugfixes for the 7896/7 boards.  You can get a FreeBSD 3.3-stable snapshot
here:

ftp://current.FreeBSD.ORG/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/i386

Those snapshots represent what will be (tomorrow, I think) FreeBSD 3.4.

> We have some old 1542 cards around but they obviously can't juggle the U2W
> LVD drives we've got in there, or we'd gen a kernel on that config to get
> off the ground.  We also have a PCI 2940-U2W card we could yank from a
> server for a few hours if necessary, but we'd prefer not to do that if at
> all possible.

Well, you can use LVD drives with 1542 controllers.  The LVD disks will
negotiate down to fast narrow SCSI.  Keep in mind that LVD disks don't have
terminators, so you will need external terminators for them.

The 2940U2W uses an Adaptec 7890, which is also only supported in CAM.  So
that won't help you any.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry